Take your children on a safari! The child-friendly Bicycle Safari route is 22 km long and starts in Maribo, in the centre of Lolland. The route heads north, to the idyllic village of Maglemer and Knuthenborg Safari Park.
You can buy entrance tickets at the park and experience a variety of exotic animals from the saddle of your bike. There is an amusement park in the safari park, that is extremely popular for children and the child at heart.
There is a description of Knuthenborg Safari Park further down this page.
If you choose not to ride through the safari park, then follow the route past Knuthenborg’s historic wall and on to Merritskov forest. In the forest you will cycle through a fenced area, for a mini-safari with wild boar and bison.
The lovely little harbour town of Bandholm, with its traditional, yellow half-timbered houses, lies nestled on Lolland’s northern coast, with views of the waters called Smålandsfarvandet. Buy an ice cream at the ice cream shop at Bandholm Hotel, go for a walk down to the beach or the harbour, enjoy the fantastic view and watch the local ferry sail over towards Askø. On a warm summer’s day, you can have a dip at the beach or in the harbour bathing area.
The return trip from Bandholm to Maribo is along relaxing country roads and passes once again through the Merritskov forest. Enjoy the beautiful views of Nørresø in Nature Park Maribo Lakes on your way back to Maribo.
The bicycle route is signposted with blue signs - you just need to follow the rhinoceros symbols: ”næsehornet”.
On the bicycle route, you will see signs with symbols and numbers for other bicycle routes; the Danish national cycle routes 7 and 8 - The Baltic Sea Route, Naturlandet Rundt (N), Forest, Coast and Wine (trees) and The Islands by Bike (ferry).
Naturlandet recommends that you cycle in the direction as indicated by the numbers on the maps. The bicycle route is signposted all the way in this direction.
Refreshments can be bought on this bicycle route, for example from Bandholm Hotel and Knuthenborg Safari Park.
The bicycle route starts at Maribo Station. You can get to the station with a bus or by train, which can also carry your bicycle. Naturlandet recommends Rejseplanen for bus and train schedules.
Experiences and attractions
- Picnic Area: A fun and unusual place to enjoy your packed lunch.
- Knuthenborg Safari Park: A great way to make this bicycle tour really special is to visit the safari park and see a variety of free-ranging exotic animals. Your ticket also gives you access to the Limpopoland amusement park, where all activities, for children and adults, are for free. For safety reasons, cycling is not permitted in some areas of the park. The price for a bicycle ticket is DKK 185,- for adults and DKK 115,- for children under 12 years old.
- Merritskov Forest: Ride through a fenced area where you might just see wild boar and bison. If you are lucky enough to see the animals, remember to keep your distance!
- Hvedemagasinet - Historic Wheat Silo: Bandholm’s cultural centre is open for visitors from June to August. The historic silo is host to various events with art, music and other forms of entertainment on the ground floor. The first and second floors feature art and handicraft exhibitions.
- Museumsbanen Railway: Have you had a good and eventful day in Naturlandet? To top it all off, take the Museumsbanen back to Maribo. You can take your bike with you and travel on the train like in the old days. Check the train timetable and prices at museumsbanen.dk
- Bandholm Strand: A very child-friendly beach, lovely views and wonderful sunsets. Relax by the tables and benches.
- Bandholm Badeanstalt - Public Baths: On the outer edge of the harbour, you’ll find the Bandholm public baths, with 16 changing cabins, two piers and a waterslide. A lovely place to have a swim if you’re not so fond of the beach.
- Nørresø Lake: Nørresø Lake is one of four interconnected lakes in Nature Park Maribo Lakes, an area famous for being home to many white-tailed sea eagles. Naturlandet recommends the adventure route In the Land of the Sea Eagles if you want to experience Maribo Lakes and the beautiful surrounding landscape.
Download the gpx file for the route - Bicycle Safari. The file contains the route's GPS data, and can be used to transfer the route to your Garmin watch and other apps. Remember you can find the route digitally in the Naturlandet Lolland-Falster app without needing the gpx file.