In the Land of the Sea Eagles
The bicycle route ”In the Land of the Sea Eagles” gives visitors a fantastic opportunity to experience beautiful Nature Park Maribo Lakes from the land; it is also a great trail for walkers.
The bicycle route ”In the Land of the Sea Eagles” gives visitors a fantastic opportunity to experience beautiful Nature Park Maribo Lakes from the land; it is also a great trail for walkers. The tour’s start and finish point is at the Maribo Tourist Information Centre, in the centre of Maribo.
The nature park is one of the Danish Nature Parks and has attained this seal of approval due to its unique nature values, diverse plant and animal species, interesting cultural environment as well as many good opportunities for outdoor activities on land and in the water. White-tailed sea eagles are one of the many species that you are almost guaranteed to see soaring over the lakes.
The Maribo Lakes are four interconnected lakes. This bicycle route goes around the two largest: Søndersø and Røgbølle Sø.
The halfway mark of the tour is the birdwatching tower at Røgbølle Sø. Between Søndersø and Røgbølle Sø lies the idyllic Søholt Gods manor, with its interesting French Baroque garden, which is absolutely worth a visit.
The return route passes Naturskolen (Nature School), with a fantastic view of Søndersø, then along a beautiful trail to the Open-Air Museum, where the Naturlandet Information Centre is located.
The route passes several places with glorious views of the lakes, so bring your binoculars if you want a close-up view of the birdlife.
There are many picnic benches along the route, where you can enjoy your packed lunch with a view.
The bicycle route is signposted with blue signs - you just need to follow the sea eagle symbols: ”havørnen”.
On the bicycle route, you will see signs with symbols and numbers for other bicycle routes; the Danish national cycle route 7 and ’The Monk Road’ (88).
Naturlandet recommends that you cycle in the direction as indicated by the numbers on the maps. The bicycle route is signposted all the way in this direction.
There is nowhere to buy refreshments on this route; remember a packed lunch and water for your trip!
The bicycle route starts at Maribo Station. You can get to the station with a bus or by train, which can also carry your bicycle. Naturlandet recommends Rejseplanen for bus and train schedules.
Experiences and attractions
- Engestofte Manor: Old royal manor from 1457. The estate consists of a main building, a breeding farm, an old watchtower and its own church.
- Scenic view at Søndersø: Beautiful view over the eastern part of Søndersø, to among others Borgø, the largest island in the nature park and the only one that has been inhabited in modern times.
- Pumping station: Controls the water level between Hejrede Lake and Sønders Lake. Here you will also find a lookout point for Hejrede Lake, where there are good opportunities to see sea eagles.
- Søholt Storskov: The largest forest in the nature park with fantastic plant and animal life, including very rare butterflies.
- Skelsnæs Pavillion: Built in 1822 by Søholt Estate. Good excursion destination and picnic shelter.
- Søholt Baroque Garden: Large garden next to Søholt Estate, one of the oldest Baroque gardens in the country. The garden is modelled on the French garden. The baroque garden is open to the public for an entrance fee.
- Søholt Orangery: "High Tea and Garden History" in the orangery at Søholt Estate. Enjoy tea and homemade cake to stories about the history of the baroque garden. The first oak trees were planted in the late 1600s and the Baroque garden was last renovated in 2010. It is possible to study old sea drawings, photos and engravings.
- Nature reserve and bird tower at Røgbølle Lake: bird tower and handicap accessible lookout with a fantastic view over Røgbølle Lake. Here you can find information about the rich bird life of the nature park.
- Maribo Naturskole: Fantastic view over the western part of Søndersø to Maribo.
- Open-air museum and Natureland INFO point: discover, among other things, 13 reconstructed houses from the late 1600s to the early 1900s. Exhibition on the Lolland-Falster nature region and the Maribo Lakes Nature Park.
Download the gpx file for the route - In the Land of the Sea Eagles The file contains the route's GPS data, and can be used to transfer the route to your Garmin watch and other apps. Remember you can find the route digitally in the Naturlandet Lolland-Falster app without needing the gpx file.