Forest, Coast and Wine
The bicycle route ’Forest, Coast and Wine’ offers beautiful natural surroundings and interesting culture for the whole family.
The tour starts in Maribo and heads north to the idyllic village of Maglemer, then continues past Knuthenborg Safari Park. In Merritskov, you can ride through a fenced area on a mini-safari, where you might just catch a glimpse of wild boar and bison.
The lovely little harbour town of Bandholm, with its traditional, yellow half-timbered houses, lies nestled on Lolland’s northern coast, overlooking the waters of Småland. Buy an ice cream at the ice cream shop at Bandholm Hotel, go for a walk down to the beach or the harbour, enjoy the fantastic view and watch the local ferry sail over towards Askø. On a warm summer’s day, you can have a dip at the beach or in the harbour baths.
The tour then passes through a small forest and to Blans, where you will find a Bed & Breakfast and a lovely flower garden that is open to visitors.
The halfway mark of the trip is Blans Havn - one of the small, cosy harbours on Lolland’s north coast. This is a good place to eat your packed lunch and enjoy the lovely surroundings.
On your way back, you will pass through Stokkemarke, which has an overnight shelter area, an art gallery, a supermarket, a fitness and play area and a vineyard. Take a break here, visit the farm shop and be sure to enquire about their ice wine.
The bicycle route is signposted with blue signs - you just need to follow the tree symbols: ”træerne”.
On the bicycle route, you will see signs with symbols and numbers for other bicycle routes; the Danish national cycle routes 7 and 8 - The Baltic Sea Route, Bicycle Safari (rhinoceros), Naturlandet Rundt (N) and The Islands by Bike (ferry).
Naturlandet recommends that you cycle in the direction as indicated by the numbers on the maps. The bicycle route is signposted all the way in this direction.
Refreshments can be bought at regular intervals on this bicycle route; in Bandholm, Stokkemarke and Nørreballe.
The bicycle route starts at Maribo Station. You can get to the station with a bus or by train, which can also carry your bicycle. Naturlandet recommends Rejseplanen for bus and train schedules.
Experiences and attractions
- Picnic Area: A fun and unusual place to enjoy your packed lunch.
- Knuthenborg Safaripark: Naturlandet recommends visiting the safari park by bike. More information on the Bicycle Safari page.
- Merritskov forest: Ride through a fenced area where you might see wild boar and bison. If you are lucky enough to see the animals, remember to keep your distance!
- Hvedemagasinet - Historic Wheat Silo: The local cultural centre in Bandholm, hosts various exhibitions and events. Open to visitors from June to August.
- Museumsbanen Railway It’s a unique experience, to travel by train like in the old days - and you can take your bike with you! Read more on museumsbanen.dk.
- Bandholm Strand: Very child-friendly beach with glorious sunsets.
- Bandholm Badeanstalt - Public Baths: 16 changing cabins, two piers and a waterslide.
- Blanshaven Gardens: Enjoy your packed lunch in the beautiful flower gardens.
- Blans Havn: An intimate small harbour with a lovely picnic shelter where you can enjoy the view.
- Keldvigen: Beautiful nature area that is an oasis for many animal and plant species.
- Stokkemarke Galleri: The gallery can be visited by appointment; call Steen on phone number +45 2082 1001 to make an inquiry.
- Østergård Vinmageri Winery: Experience the vineyard, visit the farm shop and listen to an engaging tale about the exciting possibilities and rapid development of Danish fruit and grape wines.
Download the gpx file for the route - Forest, Coast and Wine. The file contains the route's GPS data, and can be used to transfer the route to your Garmin watch and other apps. Remember you can find the route digitally in the Naturlandet Lolland-Falster app without needing the gpx file.